Sunday 6 July 2008

Mit Ubuntu

For fun, I installed Ubuntu the other night whilst slightly drunk, and it's now happily dual-booting alongside Vista.

Apart from a few teething difficulties with getting Scala and an absurdly pretty version of Emacs running, it's working wonderfully... and the game runs!

I can't quite express my amazement that using the JVM (and the LWJGL, without which this project wouldn't even have started) worked so well in this case. Granted it doesn't play very nicely with the windowing environment, but it's still quite amazing to me that it runs at all.

So, based on this initial exploration it seems that supporting Windows and Linux will be fine from the get-go, possibly with Mac as a freebie too. This is all exciting stuff considering the joys I've experienced writing cross-platform C++ projects.

No comments: